Monday, October 2, 2017

That Dog Mom Life

If you've been a regular reader here for a while, it's likely you already know I have two of the cutest puppies in all the land.

Well, one is a full grown dog, but she's like 4 pounds so I'm pretty sure I can still call her a puppy.



And the other one is a puppy. An almost full-grown 8 month old puppy, but still.



Being a dog mom is almost as great as being a mom to humans. Sometimes better. Sometimes worse. Haha. In fact, Thor (dog) and Luna (baby) have very similar behaviors.


  • Both like to be loud
  • Both eat any scrap of trash they find on the floor
  • Both bite sometimes and look bizarrely cute when they do it
  • Both enjoy hanging out in crates
  • Both like to dig in the dirt

So since I was a dog mom before I was a regular mom, I felt like I'd had a little prior experience. :P 

Also as some of you know, I struggle with mental health issues like anxiety and depression from time to time. Hands down, my dogs are the best medicine for getting me through those rough days. Even if sometimes *cough* THOR IM LOOKING AT YOU *cough* they cause a little bit of that stress and anxiety. 

Many of you also know that I purchased both of my dogs. With Freyja, she's a pomeranian/shih tzu mix. I call her a pomshih (because I'm pretty sure it's not an actual recognized designer breed yet) and some of my friends like to call her a shit pom. lol. Either way, when I found a breeder selling her, we weren't even in the market for a second dog. We had a check list of all the things we wanted in a pup and she fit the bill on all of them. She's currently 2.5 years old and seriously the best dog. She's amazingly tolerant with the kids and Jack loves helping me take care of her. He calls her his "responsibility." lol. 







And Thor...




Oh boy. This dog. He's keeping me on my toes for sure! He's a mini American Eskimo pup that I got from another breeder. He's seriously a beautiful dog. I get stopped regularly. He's as smart as he is an oaf and I love his ridiculously silly personality. He's very much still a puppy and is very playful with Jack, but surprisingly sweet with Luna. Thor is a lot of work, but we're having fun working on training him and teaching him new tricks. He's a master of sit, come, (still working on Stay...lol), up, down, out, off and lay down and roll over. 



I am a huge advocate for animal adoption. I've worked with several animal shelters and have owned rescue animals myself. (RIP Newton). BUT it is possible to find reputable breeders that help you find the dog that is right for your family. I might get some backlash on this post, and I hope I don't. But I want people to realize that there are ways to get a dog from a breeder that is totally ethical. In fact, PuppySpot is a great resource. This service helps responsible breeders find loving homes and placement for their pups. Check out the website. They offer a great deal of info on dog breeds, breeder info and more. They even offer a no-puppy mill promise, which is really reassuring as they are difficult to weed out sometimes. 

I know I cannot picture my life without a dog in it. I've had dogs my entire life and it's been so much better for it. While dogs are a huge responsibility and require a lot of time, money and energy, they are worth it if you have the ability to get one and properly care for it. Being a dog mom is the best. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment