Friday, March 24, 2017

Jack Finn: Four Years Old!

Do you ever just wish time would fly on by? Have a kid. And then have another. Because you'll watch those minutes slip through your fingers faster than you can remember to take a breath. But I try. Each day I try and let go of the urgent need to do dishes and clean all the laundry and pay the bills and pick up a bajillion toys. Each day I try and take time to just enjoy my sweet babies. I'm not always successful, but I do try.

Jack. My baby. My boy. My first creation of love. He's four. Wow. I'll admit I cried a little. But I also saw my love and pride for him grow more than I ever thought possible over the past four years. He's seriously the coolest kid (biased mom here!). He's so so smart. And sweet. And funny as hell. I try and write down all of the funny, honest, clever things he says but I'd have a book full in a week if I really tried to get it all down.






We enjoy him every single day. His dad. His sister. Our pups. Our extended family. Everyone loves him so much and we are so fortunate to have so many people in our lives who care for him. He's in good hands and has the best of the best there to teach him and set a good example.

His stats:

Size: He's about 50 percent across the board for weight and height. He's 35 lbs and 40 inches tall. He wears 4T in pants and shirts. He wears sizes 8-9 in shoes.

His vocabulary is huge. He still isn't a fan of singing, but he loves to dance. He can do some addition and subtraction. Can count to 100 by singles and 10s. He's a long-time expert with shapes, colors and does a great job understanding many complex concepts.  He's been officially potty trained for almost two years now.

His favorites:
His mom
His dad
His sister
His puppies
His grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins

He still loves bubbles.

He loooooves chocolate. Chocolate makes everything better. Especially owies.

He loves the color red. Green in a close second. But he only likes "bright colors. Not dark colors."

He still prefers playing with non-toy items like tools, his microscope, walkee talkees, random objects he finds on the ground like clothes hangers, bobby pins, etc. over actual toys. lol.

He loves riding his bike and going on family adventure walks.




Jack can play outside for hours and hours. He's got an incredible imagination and creates the funniest scenarios. He's mister popular on the playground. The neighbor kids love to play with him and are always coming over to our house to see if Jack can come out to play.

He's kind and works hard to include the other kids. He's sensitive and gets his feelings hurt easily.

He's starting preschool this year! He begins the at-home preschool program UPSTART at the end of the summer and then he'll be doing classes at Avondale Academy in the fall. We also just signed him up to do T-Ball this summer!

He's been experiencing growing pains in his legs like crazy. Otherwise he's had a few colds here and there but has been remarkably healthy. I've still never had to take this kid in to the doctor with an illness.

Unfortunately it looks like I've passed on my ugliest genetic trait of anxiety issues to poor Jack. If you're a long-time reader of this blog, you'll know that Jack is pretty much the clingiest kid ever. I kept waiting for that to get easier. Once I had Luna, it got better for a short time and then it got worse. Luna is a clingy baby too, but no where on the scale that Jack is/was. I've noticed some improvements over the last month, but we still have a long way to go.

We're working on some programs with Jack's pediatrician currently to help him develop healthy coping skills now to hopefully prevent his anxiety from worsening as he gets older. If those don't work, we'll likely have to seek help from a child psychologist. The experience with Jack and anxiety is helping me reflect on my own mental health issues and I am hopeful we can combat our struggles together. :)

Jack has so much energy, eats like a bird and still doesn't nap. He's our little night owl and is happiest if he gets to stay up to about 10 each night (alternatively, Luna is typically in bed by 8 lol).

He is still really picky with foods. His faves are chocolate. lol. Clam chowder, chicken strips and fries and cheese quesadillas. He loves fruit and some veggies. He's a total smoothie kid. And I'm sad he finally knows how to say smoothie correctly instead of smooth-me like he used to. Ha!

He loves playing video games with his daddy or on his iPad or his new 3DS. He loves watching shows on Netflix (Ninjago is currently the fave along with Story Bots) or a variety of shows on the Nick Jr. and Disney Jr. Apps.

We don't limit screen time necessarily, but Jack is great at self regulation. He would rather play outside if the weather is nice. And thankfully spring is here and we seem to be getting a lot more outside time, which is nice all around.

Jack loves to read books. We have started reading a few more bigger kid chapter books like the new illustrated Harry Potter collection (I skip over the "scary" parts.)

He's also obsessed with outer space and loves learning about planets, stars, galaxies etc. He teaches me new factoids regularly. He also really is getting great at recognizing all of the letters of the alphabet, can write his own name and can copy text (if I've written it down first).

Jack is so willful, spirited, smart, sweet, happy, opinionated, bossy, loving, compassionate, funny, articulate, clever, adorable... I could seriously go on and on. I love my boy more than I can even explain. I can't believe I get to be his mom.

Even in my worst moments on my hardest days, I don't regret for a single second becoming a mom to this amazing boy. Not even a little bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment