Sunday, February 19, 2017

My Buddy Newton

Hey everyone!

So, some might think it is silly that I am writing an entire blog post about my dog, but I guess others might think it's silly that I have a blog devoted to talking about my babies too. Basically, I don't really care because this is my little tiny corner of the Internet and I'm going to use it how I see fit. :P

As most of you know, my first little (furry) baby passed away the day after Christmas. Newton was a rescue dog (thanks, brother!) that I got when I was in my early 20s and fresh out of college. It was a really dark time in my life and Newton was the best friend I really needed to pull me out of it. He saw me through so much and was really the best dog I'd ever owned. He'd been neglected and abused prior to me owning him, so I guess we kind of healed each other.





We liked to joke that Newton was immortal because when I first rescued him, he seemed kinda old. We figured around 8, or so. But I had Newton 8.5 years after that, so who knows how old he was. I thought for sure he would have died several years ago because of all his health problems. But, by the end, his congestive heart failure got the best of him. His hair was falling out and his back knees were both really bad. The vet told me that all I could really do was make him comfortable. So we did.




Except our other dog Freyja. She liked to make Newton play and rough and tumble with her little puppy personality. Getting her when we did (two years ago) probably extended his life substantially. Prior to Freyja, Newton didn't even know how to play with other dogs. He only ever played with humans, but not toys either.



 Poor old guy had a lot of quirks, but that just made him an even more unique pup. His loss has been harder than I expected, especially considering we saw it coming. But despite his small size and his ability to hide in small spaces, Newton had a big presence about him and we all miss him very much.




Miss you lots, little Newty Pants. You were so loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment