Friday, January 25, 2013

Learning about babies and breastfeeding

As you might be able to tell from the title, in this post I plan to talk a little bit about breasts. If that in anyway weirds you out, you might want to just tune in for my next post. For those of you still with me, welcome to my post on prepared child birthing and breastfeeding classes.

Tomorrow Daniel and I will be spending all day (well, 9-5) at the labor and delivery center of the hospital to learn more about child birthing techniques, car seat safety, basic baby skills, etc. Honestly I am not too sure what to expect, but I've heard it is a good introducer to being a parent. Since my experience around babies is VERY minimal, I figure it is best that we both take advantage of this opportunity to get familiar. Daniel isn't thrilled about giving up his Saturday, but he is being a good sport about it.

(Here is the part about boobs) On Wednesday, I went by myself to a breastfeeding class. There were only three of us preggos there, so the lactation consultant that taught the class made it really informal and we were allowed to ask a lot of different kinds of questions without worrying about feeling stupid. I also learned a lot. I had no idea there were two different kinds of milk that come out of your breast that the baby needs (hind milk and fore milk). I had no idea how long was appropriate to nurse on each side (20-30 mins, if baby desires). I definitely plan on picking up a reading resource that I need to have read in the next week or two just in case baby decides to come early.

I am all about supporting the rights of each individual mother to feed her baby as she chooses (as long as they are being fed well) but for me, breastfeeding is really the only way I've wanted to do this. I know there are many challenges that can arise while breastfeeding though. Sometimes there can be problems with supply, sometimes the baby doesn't have a good latch, etc. I figure though, I am going to go into it with a good and optimistic attitude that it will all work out and then if it doesn't, I am not going to feel like a failure. Sometimes stuff happens that makes it difficult to breastfeed, plain and simple. But the hospital here really supports mothers trying to breastfeed and the lactation consultant is awesome, so I am hoping that helps encourage me to stick with it.

My biggest fear is continuing to breast feed and pump once I return to work. That is going to be the difficult part. The LC told us that mothers returning to work were usually the most likely to stop breastfeeding because of the challenges that it presents. Honestly though, my schedule is pretty flexible most days and if I have an awesome pump, I hope that will help.

I did find out that my insurance will cover the entire purchase of an automatic breast pump. I am really excited! It's going to be one of the high end models. Likely the Madela Pump and Style, which is nice because those retail for around $300. Thanks Affordable Care Act! Woot!

In other news, I am officially 35 weeks along now and will technically be full-term at 37 weeks. Although I would still feel more comfortable if the baby would wait until 38 weeks to make his appearance. :) It would ensure the likelihood that his lungs would be completely developed by then and I would also have time to finally finish the nursery! (that project is DRAGGING). Who knows though. I could very easily have a little guy who is content in there and wants to stay the full 40 weeks, or might even overstay his welcome. (please no!). I have had some contractions and lots of Braxton Hicks lately so who knows. Baby S will come when he wants to I suppose.

Check in soon for the riveting recap of our prepared child birth class and my 35 week update! Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment