Monday, November 12, 2012

Thank You

I know it is nearing the end of the day and the actual holiday was yesterday, but in observance of Veteran's Day, I wanted to do a quick little post about my amazing little brother Marvin. He is currently serving in the U.S. Marine Corps and is deployed right now. He is traveling the world training at different places all over. Pretty cool actually, but we still miss him tons.

Marvin and I at our older sister's wedding just weeks before he entered boot camp. 


Today for the newspaper, I went and reported on a Veteran's Day celebration in honor of all of the men and women who have served, are serving or have paid that ultimate price for our freedoms. I'll admit, talking to the 94-year-old WWII veteran and other veterans made me tear up through the majority of my interviews today. Gah, I blame the pregnancy hormones! lol.

My brother is now one of those amazing veterans and I couldn't be more proud. He spent nine months deployed to Afghanistan and lost some really good friends while he was there. It's heartbreaking to know these were young men and women just like my baby brother who were out there just trying to perform their civic duty. That is the funny thing about my brother too. He says he gets uncomfortable when people thank him for his service because he just feels like it is what he should be doing. Definitely a humble guy and I am so lucky to be his sister.

Graduation from boot camp.

That is not to say that we haven't had some major fights over the years. LOL. Just had a doozy the night before he deployed a few weeks ago actually, but in true sibling style, we made up :) He and I are a lot alike so it's definitely caused some issues between us. haha! 

When it comes to raising my son, I know he will have a great hero in his Uncle Marvin. I am excited for my baby boy to get to know him and learn what it takes to be an amazing person who tries to give back in all that he does. 

Me, Marvin and little sister Nicki at boot camp graduation in 2009.

Marvin only has about a  year and a half left of active duty in the Marines and then has three years inactive duty, and I for one, will be relieved when he is home safe and sound. Just want to send a big thanks to him and all of the other members of the military. God bless you :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment