Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday Photo Dump

It's that time again, readers! TGIF!! Woot. I don't know about you all but this week was looooong. I woke up each day thinking we should be so much closer to the weekend. Well, that time is finally here! Although, as my grandpa so aptly reminded me the other day, wishing for the weekend is like wishing our days away and when you get to be on in years, there are fewer and fewer of those days left. Definitely a good reminder to appreciate the days, no matter which ones, while we have them :) That being said, I am really appreciating that today is Friday! ha!

So I kinda went back on my word and decided to go ahead and start Jack on a few solids. So far, he's only had a few tastes of banana (isn't too sure about it) and has tried baby organic oatmeal cereal.

He totes LURVED it. 


Don't worry, I was there the entire time we had him in the bumbo on the chair. :)

The biggest reason I decided to go ahead and try him out on cereal is because he started screaming and crying every time I ate or drank anything in front of him. Even if he'd just nursed! I start eating and he opens his mouth and leans toward me like, "I wanna bite, mama!" And we hadn't been giving him any solids so I know this is just a clear indicator of him wanting to do what we do.

Well, as I mentioned in my previous post about solids, there isn't a whole lot of nutritional value to rice cereal. It's just a bunch of carbs and stuff baby already gets from your breast milk. However, after six months it can be a good source of Iron that breast milk can't keep up on once your baby hits the six-month mark. I'd read that oatmeal cereal is better for baby in terms of nutrition and it's also easier for them to digest, so I am trying that out first. Not feeding it to him every day or anything, but we've tried it twice so far. And he continues to really enjoy it. At the very least I think it is a good opportunity for him  to learn how to eat and develop those motor functions with something that is a safe bet when it comes to eating.

As far as our other eating philosophies, I think we are going to wait another month before we try too much more. Most rules of thought that I tend to follow include the baby-led method. Well, as far as physical signs go, Jack is more than ready for solids. He clearly shows interest, he can sit on his own unsupported for long amounts of time. (Prefers it to lying down or sitting in a chair) And he also can push himself up on his arms. Although he still doesn't like tummy time enough to do too much of that. All in all, the physical signs of readiness are there. I just want to wait for his gut to mature a little more before we start throwing all these different foods at him.

So for the next month, he'll be on oatmeal cereal and the occasional bite of very smooshed banana. :)

I'm still contemplating getting this. The Baby Brezza seems awesome in terms of being able to steam and puree all in one little easy-to-use machine. But I know lots of baby-led followers just tend to cut food up super small so baby won't choke and feed solids that way skipping the puree step. Any advice anyone has to share about that? The Baby Brezza is kinda spendy, so if I'm not going to making a lot of purees is it really worth it? Recommendations?

In other news, we've also started using cloth diapers. I am going to save that for another post though. Quick report: Cloth diapering is going well!

Here's the rest of my Friday photo dump. Have a great weekend everyone and don't forget to leave a comment on this post or on my facebook page to enter! You have until midnight tonight! I only have like six entrants so far with two guaranteed winners. So your chances of winning are SUPER good. Don't miss out :D 

 
Xoxo,

Sam 








No comments:

Post a Comment